Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh the Joys of Motherhood...

My sweet little baby boy Ryan is going to be 7 months old in a few days.  I can't believe how fast this year is flying by, but I guess that's just one of those things to be expected when you have a baby. When you want time to sloooow dooown so you can enjoy the baby days longer before they disappear forever, time is a big meanie and speeds up on purpose. Ugh no fair I tell ya!

Well as much as I hate how fast my LAST baby's first year is going by, there is one thing about babyhood I can't wait to see go. NASTY BREASTFED BABY POOP. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE that I have been the only form of nourishment that my baby has had or needed the first 7 months of his life (starting just within the last few days to except little bits of baby food). With that comes the explosive, up the back, out the sides, all over his clothes, excersaucer, bouncy seat, car seat or ME, which was the adventure last Tuesday (I started writing this the day it happened, but have not managed to come finish until now, one week later, LAME) Anyhow, where was I? Oh yea! My baby got poop all over me!

I'm going to share the story, but before I do let me explain a little more than you really need to know. Like most breastfed babies, when he was a newborn up until about 2 months old Ryan pooped several times a day, yellow mustard seedy poop, it was unpredictable and happened many times right in the middle of a diaper change. My husband was changing him once when he was a few weeks old and the poop SHOT out of the sweet baby bum and right over dads shoulder, all over the carpet, a little got on hubby too. Another time during a 2am diaper change it happened again, this time mostly on hubby. Well we got smart and learned how to avoid the poop squirting everywhere after that. Then at 2 months he went from pooping multiple times a day to pooping once a day. Then a while after he started going every few days, and now it's once every 7-10 days, but it is a big DISGUSTING mess! It's thicker but still manages to leak out the sides of the diaper and go right up his back. We tried different brands of diapers and moving up in size, but nothing can contain the mess. The only thing that we haven't tried is cloth diapers, and I wish we could go cloth but we live in an apartment building and the laundry room is two floors down and cost $4 per load, so there's no way I can talk hubby into that unfortunately.

Anyhow, the other day I got covered in poop. It had been about 9 days since Ryan last had a big poop. I had him in his excersaucer for a few minutes in the morning so I could load the dishwasher and get it started. He was being a little fussy so I picked him up, put him on my hip and went into my daughters room to talk to her, sat on her bed with baby on my lap, chatted a few minutes, got up slung baby back on to my hip and headed to her bedroom door to leave. Then I turned around to say something to her and her eyes almost bugged right out of her head! She says "Ryan pooped!" I said "What?" confused as how she could tell from across the room when I was holding him and had no idea. Then she said "Ryan pooped and it's all over you!" so I lift him up and look down at myself and there it is all over my pajama shirt!

So I put him on the change pad and have Hailey watch him for a second while I ran to the bedroom to change my shirt and then I go get ready to clean up the mess and he is of coarse being very wiggly like usual. I open the diaper grab his feet, lift them and start wiping, he wiggled a foot free and sticks it in the poop! Ugh little bugger! So I clean off the foot and hold them again and ask Hailey to hold his hands so they don't end up in there too! I got him some what clean and then had Hailey keep an eye on him while I got the bath ready. I was so thankful she was there to help me! Or there would have poop a lot more places than just my shirt, his onsie and a change pad!

It has been one of my fears that he'll have a major poop-splosion when I'm alone with no helper! I keep trying to tell baby that he's only allowed to poop when dad is home to change him, but it goes right in one ear and out the other!

Well that was incredibly long! If you got all the way threw that then thanks for reading all about my baby's poop! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment